Friday, December 21, 2012

Peanut Butter and Oat Cookies


Howdy everyone!

The holiday season is upon us and that means cookies. I’ve seen tons and tons of people posting photos of scores of chocolate chip, oatmeal raisin and even entire gingerbread armies! Accompanying those photos often are messages of feeling sick, tired and guilty.

But not all cookies have to produce those results. Last year I shared a recipe for Quinoa Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies which are one of my favorites, but I also created a new recipe for this holiday season!

These cookies are super easy, only take around 20 minutes from start to finish, and makes a perfect snack.


(as you’ll notice, I forgot the oats and the milk in the picture)

 
Here is what you will need: 

makes around 20 cookies
1 cup organic crunchy peanut butter
½ cup organic, gluten free old fashioned oats (I used extra thick cut)
1 flax egg (mix 1.5 tablespoons ground flax with 3 tablespoons water)
½ cup organic date sugar
1/4 nut milk (I use almond, and I used a little less than ¼ cup)
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 bar dark chocolate, chopped (spring for higher quality here, you’ll notice a difference)*

Heat the oven to 350° F.

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients except for the chocolate bar together. The liquid from the wet ingredients will be absorbed by the date sugar and oats as you mix them. Mix until all of the ingredients combine to create a dough-like texture.

Once this is mixed, scoop out a small amount of the “dough” using a tablespoon and place onto a baking sheet. Push down on the top to make them a flat, cookie like shape. Now take the chopped dark chocolate and place on top of the cookie. 



Bake for about 8 minutes, or until golden around the edges. These little guys cook fast so be sure to keep an eye on them!


 Normally, I love my cookies to come right out of the oven, but honestly, these guys are way better after they cool. They will keep for over a week when stored in a closed container and refrigerated.

Happy Holidays and continued good health!

what more could He ask for?

* Be sure to check the Food Is Power website for a list of slavery free chocolate. Neither animals nor humans should have to suffer for the food you enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. I can't do these PB ones (I could try with sunbutter instead) but last years cookies are definitely do-able without any substitutions (: both look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunbutter is a great idea! I think it would work similarly, although the cook times may be altered a tiny bit! If you try it, please let me know how it turns out!

      The quinoa cookies are really tasty!

      Happy holidays!

      Delete
  2. I would just like to go on record as saying I don't feel sick, tired, or guilty. Fat, yes; but not sick, tired or guilty.

    Thanks for the link to the fair-trade chocolate :-)

    PS It took me a minute to realize your cookie photo caption referred to Santa, not Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaha!!!! I was 100% referring to Santa, although I'm sure Jesus would enjoy these cookies as well, although given Santa's waste size, I doubt he'll share.

      Delete